Menu

Wellgate Walk

1 Hour

Distance

3 Miles

Difficulty

Easy to moderate

Height

100 ft

Photo courtesy of Graeme McLeish

Featuring the Wellgate, Wellgatehead, Hyndford Road, Ladyacre Road and St Vincent Place, explore this unique area of the town.
Following on from the Castlegate History Tour, the walk begins at point number 16 on the downloadable map located at the bottom of the page.

16 - The Wellgate

The Wellgate follows the original line of the medieval street from the narrow entrance where the Wellgate Part once stood. The street is named after the St.Mungo’s Well or the Town Well which was situated on the right hand side of the street where the buildings are set back. Although the original timber dwellings were replaced by stone buildings in the late sixteenth century and early seventeenth century, the street retains much of its original character. Look back along the Wellgate for a view of the High Street and the Town Steeple above.

Continue along the Wellgate and, as the street opens out, take the left fork uphill along Wellgatehead to Hyndford Road. If you wish to visit New Lanark, you have the option of turning up Braxfield Road along to the village (Walking time 20 minutes).

17 - Wellgatehead

Wellgatehead connected the centre of the medieval town with Old St.Kentigern’s Church. The open land was developed during the Victorian period, with Lanark Grammar being constructed in 1848. The Grammar School building is in neo-gothic style with fine ashlar detailing. Beyond, large Victorian villas were built along Hyndford Road.

Continue along Hyndford Road on the right hand side. Cross over the entrance to Albany Drive and follow ‘Dead Man’s Lane’ to the right to Lanark Cemetery. Walk directly along the main path to the ruins of Old St.Kentigern’s Church

18 - Old St. Kentigern's Church

Situated on the outskirts of the town, St.Kentigern’s Church was known as the ‘Out Kirk’ or ‘High Kirk’ to distinguish it from St. Nicholas Parish Church within the town.

The church is believed to have been established prior to the reign of David 1, 1124-1153. Local tradition suggests that William Wallace married Marion Braidfute at St.Kentigern’s Church in the 13th century.

Only the ruins of the church remain, the south wall displaying narrow lancet windows with wide splayed reveals. The graceful row of arches and pillars, alternatively round and octagonal, date from the fifteenth century but were rebuilt after collapsing during a storm in the 1950’s. 

Return to Hyndland Road and cross over the Ladyacre road junction. Continue right down Ladyacre Road towards the Horsemarket along the final stetch of the Heritage Trail.

19 - Horsemarket

Lanark’s Horsemarket transferred from the Castlegate to this location in 1816, trading mainly in Clydesdale horses. Horsemarkets were held regularly up to and after the Second World War, the main horse fair being ‘St. James’, held during the first week of August. On the far side of the Horsemarket beyond the supermarket you can see a detached stone building with a coat of arms above the entrance. This building housed the Grammar School between 1841 and 1884 when the school moved to new premises in Hyndford Road.

Turn right past the Tourist Information Centre and cross over the road to St. Mary’s RC Church within St. Vincent Place to the left.

20 - St. Mary's Church

Originally designed by Goldie and Hadfield and built between 1856 and 1859, the church was largely destroyed by fire in April 1907. St. Mary’s was rebuilt in its present form to a design by Ashlin and Colman between 1908 and 1910, incorporating the shell of the former church.

The church is a splendid example of the gothic revival in the late thirteenth century style, complemented by the Presbytery, former school and adjacent hospital within St. Vincent Place.

Turn left out of St. Vincent Place along Bannatyne Street and return to the station.

You can download a map by clicking the icon below. The Wellgate Walk is captioned as Lanark Heritage Trail C.

Today it's Mostly Cloudy.
-4°