Hyndford Road, ML11 9WN
01698 424 101
- Four grass eleven-a-side pitches
- Two grass seven-a-side pitches
- Two rugby pitches
- Floodlit synthetic pitch
- Multi purpose area
- Special events venue
Nobody really knows when the Racecourse originated, maps have shown the racecourse loop since 1815.
It hosted Scotland’s first international Air Show in 1910, an event that attracted over 250,000 people. During the war period it was used as an aerodrome and is still an official emergency aerodrome. Rumour has it that spitfires were stored there in huge wooden boxes.
It was home to Britain's oldest horse race, the Lanark Silver Bell, which after a gap of three decades following Lanark's closure, is now contested again at Hamilton Park Racecourse.
The course also staged the longest handicap in the racing calendar, the 2 1/2 mile William the Lion Handicap, which marked the end of the Scottish flat racing year.
The Racecourse officially closed on 18th October 1977 due to financial problems and the site is now used by various clubs and societies in the area.