Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Gartcairn FC 3 v 1 Lanark United

West region Champions Cup semi-final Saturday 29/02/2020

Gartcairn FC 3 v 1 Lanark United

Report submitted by Craig Black.

At a wide open Airdrie Sports Centre, Lanark came up second best to Gartcairn despite being the side who played the better football and created numerous chances.

On a cold, cold day at one of the worst venues for Junior football the crowd at times had little to cheer them up in a match that was slow to come to life.

The first chance of note came when Shug Kerr was brought down on ten minutes, Cammy Lawson took the free kick from 20 yards and saw his shot go just wide, then a few minutes later good work from James Martin on the left ended with a cross for Lewis Hill but he failed to get enough power on his header and the chance was lost.

Lanark paid for these missed chances when the home side took the lead on 25 mins when a slack pass out of defence fell kindly for Crichton who hit a shot from 25 yards that found its way in to the corner of the net for 1-0.

Lanark reacted well to the loss of this goal as they created a few chances firstly for PJ O’Donnell who saw a free kick go just over the bar then after they won a corner Sean Lindsay was free on the right but a good save from the home keeper kept his effort out.

The final chance of the half came when Kerr was set free on the left and after rounding the keeper he found the angle too tight for a shot and his ball across goal found no takers.

Half time

Gartcairn FC 1 v 0 Lanark United.

Lanark started the second half better and great work from Lindsay in the 48th min saw him get in to the box but again his effort was blocked before being scrambled clear, the same player was involved a few minutes later when an excellent ball from O’Donnell found him in the box but his well hit shot was saved.

Gartcairn continued to be dangerous when they got a break on the Lanark goal but fortunately for the visitors any efforts went wide of target.

Lanark drew the match level in the 63rd minute when a fantastic ball from O’Donnell found Hill and after great control he out muscled his marker before firing a shot from 30 yards that sailed over the keeper but unfortunately hit the bar bouncing on the line before coming back in to play, Kerr was first to react though and he fired the loose ball in to the net from 6 yards fore 1-1.

Lanark failed however to capitalise on going level and it was in fact the home side who regained the lead in the 77th min when the Lanark side were looking for an off side decision that did not come and Shiels bore down on goal before putting the ball wide of Lanark keeper Owen McCallum for 2-1.

In the next minute Lanark almost benefitted from a scramble in the Gartcairn box that saw yet another Lindsay shot blocked before Kerr had an acrobatic overhead kick well saved by the home keeper.

This proved to be Lanark’s last effort of note and kit was in fact the home side who wrapped up the scoring with ten minutes to play when Arbuckle stabbed the ball home from close range after good work on the right.


Lanark Team.

McCallum, Gracie(C Anderson), Collins, Lawson, B Fraser, Lindsay, Neill, O’Donnell, Martin, Hill(Brannan), Kerr.