Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Shettleston Junior FC 1 v 2 Lanark United

Lanark United

McBookie .com West Region League One Saturday 18/01/2020

Shettleston Junior FC 1 v 2 Lanark United.

Report submitted by Craig Martin

Lanark were dealt a blow in the warm up when experienced defender Scott Nicol was ruled out due to illness to add to Mark Haddow who was suspended, Nicol’s position was covered by young Callum Anderson with PJ O’Donnell filling in for Haddow, both were pivotal in a fantastic United win against the previously unbeaten home side.

Shettleston pressed Lanark back from the off and created an excellent chance as early as the 3rd minute when a corner was headed goalward buy Dempsey but Gareth Hallford brought off a fine save to keep them out.

Lanark had the next attack when good work from Sean Lindsay allowed him to set Josh Gracie free on the right but after skipping past a defender in to the box he saw his shot blocked.

The best of the early chances came in the 8th min when a free kick from the shettleston right found the head of Irvine and his powerful downward header looked goal bound but somehow Hallford got a strong hand to the ball to turn it away for a corner.

The home side continued to have the bulk of the possession but without causing any real trouble for the visiting keeper or his defence and after keeping them at bay Lanark grew in to the match creating their own chance when Ian Watt popped up on the left getting to the bye line before cutting the ball back for Lewis Hill but the strikers shot was blocked.

Hill was involved again when strike partner Shug Kerr saw a shot well blocked with the ball falling to Hill but he was muscled out and the danger was cleared by the home defence.

Lanark were having their best spell of the match as half time approached and some excellent work from O’Donnell on the left of defence allowed him to set Kerr free on the left he in turn laid the ball back for James Martin who after getting to the goal line cut the ball back but again there were no Lanark takers of his cut back.

With only a minute to go before the break a decent kick out from Hallford saw Kerr flick the ball on to Watt who was wide on the right he raced in to they box before hitting a sublime effort that flew over the home keeper to nestle in their net for 1-0 to the visitors.


Half time Shettleston 0 v 1 Lanark United


The second half was a wee bit slow to start compared to the first but burst in to life as the hour mark approached, first good work from Hill saw him make room for a shot but his effort was blocked then Kerr attacked wide on the left but his shot was well saved by the home keeper.

Lanark needed to take advantage off having the upper hand and they did this on 59 minutes when Kerr again attacked down the left before being brought down in the box with a penalty being awarded much to the annoyance of the home side. The ever reliable Hill stepped up to coolly fire the ball home to give the visitors a two goal cushion at 2-0.

Shettleston hit back almost immediately as they saw their unbeaten record about to slip away and the grabbed a goal back when a bit of indecision in the Lanark defence saw then spurn two chances to clear the ball before it squirmed to the back post and was fired home by McGrotty for a 1-2 scorline.

Hill was involved in most of Lanark’s good work and his strength allowed him to get away from two defenders before getting in to the penalty area he seemed to be brought down unceremoniously with the big Lanark support expecting another penalty but amazingly the referee waved play on.

Lanark saw attack as the best form of defence and pressed their opponents back and Martin created the next chance when he picked up the ball in his own half before leaving the home defence for dead as he bore down on goal it took yet another save from McLean to deny him what would have been a fantastic solo effort. The keeper was involved again a few minutes later when he palmed away an O’Donnell free kick that fell for Cammy Lawson but he brought off another fine save to keep Lanark’s lead at only one goal.

The home side pressed hard for an equaliser but Lanark held firm as they blew away the memory of their last trip to Glasgow that ended in a thumping defeat.

An all round excellent performance from the whole of the Lanark team sees them keep apace with the top sides in third place in the table.


Lanark team - Hallford, Gracie, O’Donnell, Lawson, C Anderson, Watt, Fraser, Lindsay, Martin, Hill(Brannan), Kerr