Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Lanark United 2 v 2 Maryhill FC

Lanark United

West Region League One Saturday 07/12/2019

Lanark United 2 v 2 Maryhill FC

Report submitted by Craig Martin

On a day for the ducks in at times torrential rain Lanark were held to a draw by Maryhill in a dull affair at Moor Park.

Lanark were put under pressure early on by the visitors and found it hard to get any decent moves built up and it took until the 20th minute for them to make progress down the left before a cross found Shug Kerr but his effort went wide.

Lanark’s task was made doubly difficult when Mark Haddow was ordered off after giving away a penalty on 26 mins, the spot kick was however well saved by Gareth Hallford in the Lanark goal with Jordan Fraser first to react to clear the danger before the loose ball could be reached by Maryhill.

Lanark already short at the back with Captain Cammy Lawson suspended and Davy Collins unfit had to put PJ O’Donnell to centre half thus losing an important part of their midfield.

Despite this reorganisation Lanark had a great chance to go in front when a good ball reached Kerr at the back post but his attempt to chip the keeper came off the bar and was cleared.

With half time approaching the visitors took the lead when it looked like Sean Lindsay had been fouled in midfield but play was allowed to continue and a shot from distance beat Hallford to put Maryhill 1-0 up.

Half time Lanark United 0 v 1 Maryhill FC.

Despite only having ten men it was in fact Lanark who started the second half better and they drew level with a fantastic goal after 47 mins when O’Donnell broke from defence and linked with Kieran Brannan as he drove through the visitors before firing an unstoppable shot high in to the net for 1-1, better was to follow five minutes later when Kerr made good progress down the right beating defenders as he cut in to the penalty area before playing a perfect ball in to the path of Brannan who rifled the ball home to put the home side in front at 2-1.

Lanark had a couple of good chances to increase this lead but the were not taken and as the game wore on Maryhill came back in to it despite them having a man ordered off for a poor challenge on O’Donnell, with only a few minutes to play Lanark were caught in possession on the half way line leaving them exposed at the back and when the ball eventually found its way in to the box poor defending allowed a scrappy equaliser to be scrambled home for a final score of 2-2.

Lanark team - Hallford, Gracie, Haddow, Nicol, Henderson(Hill), O’Donnell, Fraser, Lindsay, Martin(Watt), Brennan(Conlon), Kerr.