Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Gartcairn FC 5 v 2 Lanark United

Lanark United

Macron Scottish Junior Cup 1st rd Saturday 28/09/2019

Gartcairn FC 5 v 2 Lanark United.

After last season’s good run in the Scottish Lanark this season exited at the first round stage with a mix of missed chances, costly errors and missing personnel being to blame.

Lanark passed up the chance to go in front as early as the 4th minute when Shug Kerr was through on goal but his final effort was straight at ex-team mate Gareth Hallford in the home goal, Gartcairn had a chance to go in front when Murphy was allowed a free header in the next attack of note but the effort went over the bar.

Josh Gracie and Jordan Conlon linked well to create the next chance for Lanark but a weak final shot from Conlon was easily saved before good work from Kerr saw him cut in from the left and a net bound curler was again saved by the home keeper.

Gartcairn grew in to the match and Leslie saw an effort come back off the post before Scott Johnson in the visiting goal saved with his feet from a low effort.

It took a mistake to break the deadlock when a short back pass from Fraser was picked up by Arbuckle who rounded the Lanark keeper before slotting home for 1-0 in 21 mins.

This set back saw Lanark lose a bit of confidence and they went further behind when a shot from distance found the net despite Johnson getting two hands to the ball.

Half time Gartcairn 2 v 0 Lanark United.

The second half saw Lanark start well and they could have drawn a goal back on 50 mins when James Martin and Sean Lindsay linked well before a low ball went right across the Gartcairn goal with Kerr just missing the ball at the back post, then good work from Kerr set Martin in wide on the left but his effort went just past the post.

Lanark did finally pull a goal back when great work from Lindsay saw him reach the bye line after rounding the keeper and his cut back was rammed home for by Kerr for 2-1.

Lanark were now pressing forward but were caught out in the 73rd min when they looked for an offside that did not come and Shiels scored at the back post before a quick break with ten minutes to go saw Arbuckle score his second of the match to make it 4-1 to Gartcairn.

Lanark reduced the leeway with two minutes to go when Kerr showed great strength in the middle of the park as he shook off defenders before firing a low shot in to the corner for 4-2.

The final goal came with the last kick of the match when a slip on the left allowed Gartcairn in for another tap in to round the score off at 5-2.

Lanark team

Johnson, Gracie, Harrrison, Lawson, Boal, Lindsay, Fraser, Conlon, Hamilton, Kerr, Martin.