Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Forth Wanderers 2 v 3 Lanark United FC

Lanark United vs Forth Wanderers

McBookie. Com West League Two Saturday 27/04/2019

Forth Wanderers 2 v 3 Lanark United FC.

Lanark United took a huge step towards the league title with this more comfortable than the score line reads victory over local rivals Forth Wanderers.

The home side who had done Lanark a huge favour by beating Lesmahagow on Wednesday started well showing the strength up front that caused a few problems for the Lanark defence but not threatening Gary Miller in the visiting goal.

The first chance for Lanark came when a quick free kick found Jordan Fraser who in turn set James Martin free but his shot was well wide then front Pairing Shug Kerr and Ian Watt linked well on the left but the home keeper smothered the loose ball.

Lanark were quite nervy on the ball but had a chance on 19 mins when a free kick from the left found Lewis Hill with the Forth keeper of his line, the ball fell for Kerr but after a quick turn his scuffed shot went wide again.

Forth’s best chance of the half came when they attacked on the left and a cut in by Duffy saw him get a shot away but Miller brought off a fine post low to his right.

With half time approaching Lanark created a chance when a Cammy Lawson ball found Hill but his shot went just over the bar then a long throw from Forth was knocked across goal but Anderson could not reach it at the back post.

With the half looking to end goalless a great ball from Lanark left back Sam Anderson found Martin who cut inside before unleashing a low shot from 20 yards that found the corner of the net for 1-0 to the visitors.

Half time Forth Wanderers 0 v 1 Lanark United.

This goal seemed to have settled the Lanark nerves and they came out more confident in the second half and increased their lead five minutes in when a Watt corner found Lawson at the back post, his header back in was handled at expense of a penalty to Lanark, the ever reliable Hill took the kick and made no mistake to give Lanark a two goal cushion.

Lanark were controlling the match at this point and had another opportunity when Watt set Josh Gracie free on the right but after cutting g infield his left foot shot went just wide of the post.

Lanark did get the third goal their play deserved in the 64th min when they won a corner on the right and a clever ball from Watt found Dan McHugh who thundered a shot off the underside of the bar in to the net for 3-0.

Lanark were well on top at this point but instead of capitalising on the chances they had they instead allowed Forth a foothold in the game and they took advantage in 83 mins when they picked up a poor pass in the middle of the park then pressed the Lanark defence in to mistakes before Skinner fired the ball past Miller for 3-1.

The scoring was finished in stoppage time on 92 mins when a Forth corner from the right was touched on by Anderson before finding the net for 3-2, the game hardly had time to restart however before the final whistle was blown though and Lanark gained another three points to keep them eight points clear of Lesmahagow with two matches to play.