Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Lanark United win 4-3 against Thorniewood United

Lanark vs Thornliewood

McBookie .com West League two Saturday 30/03/2019

Thorniewood United 3 v 4 Lanark United.

Lanark started the match without the services of Shug Kerr, who has been so influential for them this season. After injury last week he was deemed fit enough to go on the bench - a decision that paid huge dividends for manager Colin Slater.

Lanark thought they were on 'easy street' when they took the lead after only three minutes when good strength from Lewis Hill in midfield saw him win the ball and stride away from his opponent before setting the ball in to the path of James Martin, Martin rode a couple of challenges as he went in to the Thorniewood box before placing a low right foot shot past Duncan for 1-0.

This was the only highlight for Lanark early on as the home side proceeded to control the match for long spells putting the Lanark defence under almost constant pressure and it was no surprise when they drew level after 16 mins when good work on the right ended with a shot from Livingstone that came back off the post but hit stand in keeper Lauchlan Kirkland on the back before trundling in to the net for 1-1.

Kirkland had to look sharp a few minutes later as Thorniewood continued to control the match and with Lanark looking for an offside decision that did not come the home side attacked down the right again but the Lanark keeper scrambled the ball away for a corner that came to nothing.

Lanark had a half chance when a good ball from PJ O’Donnell found Declan Lafferty on the left, he won a corner for the visitors that found Hill in the middle of the area but his header was comfortably saved by Duncan.

The home sides almost constant pressure paid off in the 33rd min when a long ball in to the area saw Stewart beat the visiting keeper to the ball to stab it home for 2-1.

Lanark were struggling to create anything positive on the run up to half time with their best chance coming when Ian Watt was brought down on the right and O’Donnell’s free kick found the head of Mark Haddow but his effort was cleared off the line.

Half Time Thorniewood United 2 v 1 Lanark United.

The second half saw Lanark settle a bit although the home side constantly looked dangerous on the break, the visitors did however draw level on 57 mins when Hill was brought down fully 30 yards from goal, Lanark Captain Cammy Lawson took the resultant free kick and put it round the wall and low to the keepers left to find the net for 2-2.

Any thoughts that Lanark would go on to win the match at this stage were not shared by the home side and they continued to press Lanark back and mid way through the half they created a series of chances that ultimately ended with another goal to give them the lead for the second time in the match in the 78th minute when a high ball across goal was headed back in to the path of Stewart who struck his second of the match to put the home side 3-2 up.

Lanark looked very much a beaten side at this point as the heads seemed to go down, management duo Slater and McNeish felt they had to freshen things up and took a chance on introducing Shug Kerr and Cammy Taylor in to the match and the pair were to play a huge part in the remainder of the match.

The home side were looking to manage the match and see time out by any means possible and resorted to any tactics to waste a few seconds but Lanark had other ideas and in the 89th minute Kerr was set free down the right, his strength got him in to the penalty area and on to his left foot despite being fouled in the process, he got his shot away but the effort was high over the barbut the referee who had seemed to wait an eternity to make decisions through the match drew play back and awarded a penalty to Lanark to howls of derision from the home support.

Once things had calmed down and order had been restored it was down to regular penalty taker Lewis Hill to take the hotly disputed kick and he made absolutely no mistake with a fantastic strike high to the keepers left to make the score 3-3 and spark wild celebrations from the Lanark support that thought they had rescued an unlikely point but better was still to come.

Thorniewood seemed to have lost their cool and were punting balls out of defence and giving away cheap free kicks, it was from one of these in the 95th minute that Lanark grabbed the winner, left back Cammy Taylor put in a fantastic ball from wide on the left and Kerr met the ball with an even better header that flew in to the net for a superb winning goal with every player, sub, member of the management team and half of the Lanark support racing to celebrate with him.

There were only seconds left to play after the restart and again there was more celebration as the referee blew the final whistle.

Lanark team: Kirkland, Gracie, Haddow, Lawson, Smith(Taylor), McHugh, Hill O’Donnell, Lafferty(Kerr), Martin, Watt.