Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Lanark United beat Annbank FC 4 goals to 1 at home

Lanark 4 Annbank 1

McBookie. Com West League two Saturday 09/03/2019

Lanark United 4 v 1 Annbank FC.

With games being called off all around them, Lanark United took full advantage of great work by Geordie Reid, who had Moor Park in as good a condition as could be expected, and beat Annbank by four goals to one as they opened up an eleven point gap at the top of League Two.

Lanark got off to the same start in this game as they had in the fixture at Annbank with a goal from a free kick after only one minute, this time it was Cammy Lawson who put a low strike to the left of the keeper from 25 yards after Shug Kerr had been fouled.

Lanark were in total control at this early stage of the match and should have increased the lead when Declan Lafferty set Dan McHugh free wide on the right but his shot went just wide of the target then a good run on the right from Ian Watt ended with the ball being tipped over for a corner, when this came in Lewis Hill put his header wide.

Lanark continued to dominate the match and make chances but Kerr was next to head wide in 10 mins before a good run from Martin Smith on the left ended with a low cut back that found no takers after 16 mins.

Lanark finally doubled their lead on the half hour mark when good work on the right ended with Hill having a shot that was blocked, the loose ball fell to McHugh who cut in from the right and placed a low left foot shot in to the corner of the net for 2-0.

The home side had a chance to increase this lead a couple of minutes later when a great turn from PJ O’Donnell saw him progress down the right but his dipping shot came off the bar, the loose ball was picked up on the left and put across for Kerr to head on goal but his effort was saved.

Lanark were punished for these missed chances in the 43rd minute when Annbank pulled a goal back, the home side had been on the attack but lost possession after a free kick and with progress being made down the Lanark right this ended with a low ball in that was coolly finished for 2-1 a score that stood until half time.

The start of the second half saw Annbank come out of the traps flying as they pressed the home side back but Lanark weathered this storm and created the best of the early chances when good work from O’Donnell saw him put the ball wide to McHugh who in turn set Watt free but his effort was blocked.

Annbanks best chance to get level came on the hour mark when McLymont went past Gracie on the left but his effort from a tight angle hit the post.

The home side finally saw daylight between them and their visitors in the 70th min when great work between Sam Anderson, who had replaced Smith at half time, and Lafferty on the left ended with Anderson putting in a low cross that Hill only just missed but McHugh picked up the ball on the right and laid it back in to the path of Kerr who hammered the ball home for  3-1.

This goal settled the home side and they put together some good football and soon increased this lead further five minutes later when excellent work between Kerr and Watt ended with Watt playing a low ball in to Jordan Fraser who saw his cool finish beat the Annbank keeper for 4-1.

Lanark controlled what was left of the match but could not increase their lead despite Annbank being reduced to ten men when Ross was ordered off for two quick yellow cards.

Lanark Team: Hallford, Gracie, Haddow, Lawson, Smith(Anderson), McHugh, Hill(Fraser), O’Donnell, Lafferty(Strang), Kerr, Watt.