Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Lanark continue league lead with 3 - 0 win to Newmains FC

Lanark United 3 vs Newmains FC 0

McBookie. Com West League Two Saturday 23/02/2019

Lanark United 3 v 0 Newmains FC.

Lanark got the result that was needed on Saturday without having to play in top gear although they did have to weather a couple of scares from Newmains attacks in the first half but once they got in to their stride the result was never in question.

The first shot in the match came when James Martin cut in from the right hand side in 6 minutes but his effort was well wide of the target but almost from the restart Newmains broke on the left but Josh Gracie was on hand to clear for Lanark.

Mid way through the half Ian Watt had the next chance for the home side but his good run coming in from the right saw his effort suffer the same fate as Martins as it went well wide of the target and high for good measure.

On 24 mins Lanark won a free kick when the returning Shug Kerr was brought down 25 yards from goal but Cammy Lawsons effort from this also went wide of the Newmains goal.

With the wind being the big winner in the first half it was down to errors to create the chances and Newmains got one in the 31st minute to set up an attack on the right but a fine challenge from Martin Smith cleared the danger for Lanark.

Lanark seemed to get more success as the half ended with decent passing moves and won a corner in 36 mins but when the ball came in Kerr’s header was deflected wide by Mark Haddow.

Half time Lanark United 0 v 0 Newmains FC.

The second half saw a drop in the wind and a rise in Lanark’s pressure with Watt setting up a good chance from the right inside the first couple of minutes but his low ball in was cleared with Lewis Hill picking it up but his effort was blocked then a great run down the left by Smith saw him cut along the bye line and unleash a fierce shot but O’Hara in the visiting goal made a good stop to keep the scores level.

The deadlock was broken on the hour mark when Watt played Kerr in who was upended but good advantage was played by the referee as Martin picked the ball up before cutting in to the box leaving defenders in his wake before pacing a low shot across the keeper in to the far corner for 1-0.

This goal took the pressure of Lanark who doubled their lead after 65 mins when they were awarded a free kick which was played in by Lawson, Jordan Fraser took the pace off the ball and directed it in to the path of Kerr who hammered it home low for 2-0.

The home side were now controlling proceedings and Watt created another chance with a cross for Kerr but his header dropped just over the bar.

The scoring was rounded off in the 76th minute when good combination work from Dan McHugh and Gracie on the right ended with Gracie placing the ball in to the path of Watt who emulated Kerr with a low driven finish for 3-0 to the league leaders.

Lanark created a couple of half chances as the match drew to a close but could take none of them and ended the match with a comfortable 3-0 win.

Lanark Team. Hallford, Gracie, Haddow, Lawson, Smith, McHugh, Fraser(Anderson), Hill(O’Donnell), Martin(Strang), Kerr, Watt.