Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Lanark United in Scottish cup tie at home to Rossvale

Lanark Rossvale draw

Macron Scottish Junior Cup 4th round Saturday 24/11/18

Lanark United 1 v 1 Rossvale FC.

Again Lanark were up against higher opposition in this fourth round Scottish cup tie and again they put in a more than credible performance to earn a replay next week.

Lanark will feel they could have won this match with the chances they created in the first half but they failed to put the ball in the net and almost paid the price for this.

The home side created the first chance of the match in the 7th min when Ian Watt went wide on the right but Lewis Hill was unlucky not to get on the end of the cross then a minute later PJ O’Donnell set Watt free again on the right this time a better ball in found Hugh Kerr but his effort was blocked.

Lanark had been boosted by the signing of two former players during the week and it was one of them who had the next effort on goal, good work from right to left in the Lanark midfield saw the ball fall to Martin Smith but his weak shot was easily saved on 17 mins.

Rossvale had been limited to long range efforts on Gareth Hallford’s Lanark goal with none of them causing too much of a problem in the early part of the match.

Lanark's next chance came when Stuart Annetts linked up with Declan Lafferty but Lafferty’s effort went just wide of the Rossvale goal then after Hill was brought down Lanark won a free kick but Kerr saw his header also go wide, the same player was set up a few minutes later by good work from Lafferty but again the ball slipped wide.

The best chance of the half came when Lafferty played Watt in and with the visitors looking for off side play was allowed to continue but Watt’s net bound effort was tipped round the post by Donnelly in the visitors goal at the expense of a corner, when the corner came in Kerr again got a header in but this was well saved.

The last chance of the half for Lanark  saw a Cammy Lawson free kick pushed clear before Rossvale rounded off the half with an effort that was blocked by Alan McCrum for Lanark.

Half time Lanark United 0 v 0 Rossvale FC

Lanark started the second half slowly and almost paid the price when Rossvale broke down the left but Hallford turned the ball away for a corner with this having to be cleared off the line to keep the score at 0-0.

Lanark had a chance in the 50th minute when Josh Gracie played the ball in for Kerr who in turn laid off to Hill but his effort went wide.

A couple of minutes later some poor defending by O’Donnell allowed Rossvale clean through on goal but a fantastic stop by Hallford saved Lanark. Rossvale were on top at this point and from a corner in 65 mins McMenaman saw an effort scrape the bar as it went over, then a minute later another great save from Hallford and a clearance by Hill saw the score stay at 0-0.

The pressure from the visitors finally paid off when Smith was adjudged to have handled the ball on the line and was ordered off, Zok took the penalty and made no mistake to put Rossvale 1-0 up.

Lanark went to three at the back and took the game to the visitors and saw another free kick from Lawson go just over the bar before they finally won a penalty themselves in the 79th minute when Watt was brought down, the striker took the kick and drove the ball home for 1-1.

Lanark thought they had stolen the match in the last few minutes when an O’Donnell free kick found the head of Kerr at the backpost but another excellent save from Donnelly saw his downward header tipped round the post.

Lanark had half chances for Lafferty and Lawson in the dying stages but could not get a winner and will have to go again next week for a place in the last 16.

Lanark Team: Hallford, Gracie, Lawson, Haddow(Annetts), Smith, McCrum(Fraser), Hill, O’Donnell, Lafferty, Kerr, Watt.

Replay Saturday 1st December, KO 1.30pm Huntershill Sports Club.