Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Lanark United hammer Annbank as strong run continues

United have found the back of the net 18 times in five league outings

Lanark United maintained their impressive start to the season after thrashing Annbank United 5-0 in Ayrshire last Saturday.

The Yowes occupy third place in the West Region League Two after five games and will be looking to continue their strong run of form when they host Carluke Rovers this weekend.

The Royal Burgh outfit were ahead after just 90 seconds when Ian Watt curled a free kick into the back of the net.

Lanark could have extended their lead moments later but Mark Haddow’s header crashed off the post.

Annbank were unfortunate not to level the scoreline when Tom Sloan’s rising effort struck the crossbar, much to the relief of the visitors.

Sloan’s strike was a warning to Lanark and Colin Slater’s side reacted in the best possible manner when Jim Martin slipped a perfect pass to Hugh Kerr and he calmly lobbed the ball over the advancing goalkeeper and into the empty net.

Lanark soon began to take control of the game and were rewarded with a third goal 10 minutes before the break when Josh Gracie collected the ball on the right flank and cut inside before unleashing a powerful left-footed strike into the net from 12 yards out.

Annbank had a good spell of possession after the interval and were looking dangerous from set pieces, but the Lanark defence was soaking up the pressure.

Lanark were looking confident in the opposition half and continuing to cause the hosts problems, with Ian Watt keen to add to his tally.

With 15 minutes remaining, Lanark were four goals ahead when Danny McHugh’s strike from the byline was mishandled by the goalkeeper and the ball landed in the net.

Annbank could have recoiled and went into damage limitation mode but they continued to press forward and Jordan Ryan evaded the visiting defence but his strike was well saved by Martyn Meek.

Two minutes later Jordan Ryan broke clear for the home side but his parting shot  was well saved by 'keeper Martyn Meek.  

Ian Watt completed the scoring five minutes before the final whistle when his initial effort was blocked by the goalkeeper, but the forward quickly regained possession of the loose ball and ran it into the net to give United a high scoring away win for the second game in succession.