Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Forth Wanderers defeat Lanark United to lift Clydesdale Cup

Former United forward Kris Jarvie collects the trophy from Millar Stoddart

Forth Wanderers clinched the Clydesdale Cup after a 1-0 win against Lanark United at Kingshill Park on Monday night after Scott Watson’s first-half strike was enough to separate the two teams.

It was a rematch of last year’s final where Lanark had come out on top with a 4-1 victory, and Forth were determined to get revenge.

Ian Watt had the ball in the back of the net for Lanark in the first half, but the Yowes forward was judged to have been offside.

Watson’s strike put the Wanderers ahead before the break and managed to preserve their slender advantage after the interval to lift the trophy.

Both sides started strongly with the Wanderers forcing United goalkeeper Martyn Meek into several good saves in the opening exchanges.

Lanark had a good chance to break the deadlock when a whipped corner was met by the head of Mark Haddow, but his effort went over the crossbar.

Haddow then found Ian Watt with a pinpoint pass to split the Wanderers defence and the forward found the back of the net, but his effort was disallowed for offside.

Lanark went direct with a long ball then finding Grant Gaffney, with his effort turned away for a corner by goalkeeper Robbie Kelly.

Forth then carved their way through the United midfield and a through pass was collected by Scott Watson who cut back on to his left foot before calmly placing the ball past Meek with a fine finish.

The last chance of the half came for Lanark when Watt cut in from the left and, after evading a couple of defenders, he worked the ball to his right foot but his effort was well saved by Kelly.

Lanark began the second half on the front foot with a Cammy Lawson freekick finding Watt who directed the ball across the face of goal, but there were no takers for his dangerous pass.

Another corner then found Haddow but his effort was scrambled clear as Lanark pressed for an equaliser.

Watt was causing the hosts problems and looking like Lanark’s best chance of getting back on level terms, but he squandered a good chance on the hour mark.

Despite Lanark creating a series of chances in the second half, Forth almost extended their advantage when they broke clear of the United rearguard but Meek produced an excellent save to keep his side in the game.

United were causing problems for the Wanderers from set pieces and a floated corner was headed towards goal by Declan Lafferty but his effort was cleared off the line.

Lanark pressed forward as the clock ticked down but failed to find a way through the Forth defence and the hosts held on to lift the trophy.