Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Lanark topple Hyndland in first game for two months

Lanark’s last clash came against Moffat in early November

Lanark made their return to competitive action in the stunning surroundings of the main pitch at Scotstoun where they recorded a 30-23 win against Hyndland last Saturday.

Hyndland normally play on an adjacent all-weather surface but both sides had the privilege of playing on the Glasgow Warriors' pitch to create a memorable occasion for everyone involved.

Saturday’s result was made more impressive given that Lanark were without any reserves and played most of the second half with a man down through injury.

The game was played with uncontested scrums; it had originally been requested by Lanark as they hadn’t expected to have a full front row available. Lanark sorted this at the last moment but Hyndland opted to let it stand.

Both sides taking advantage of the conditions elected to play an open game with five tries coming in the first quarter. Callum Grant having a strong run from far out to open for Lanark but Hyndland immediately countered with a penalty and try to take the lead.

In quick succession Lanark’s Steph Stewart, Callum Grant for his second and Angus Andrews added to the try count with Andrews adding the conversion. Hyndland got one back to make the half time score 22-13.

David McPhail crossed to put Lanark further ahead at the midway point on the restart but with the team down to 14 through injury and Hyndland gaining control, some desperate defensive tackling was called on.

Hyndland crossed twice and were looking for the third to take the lead with four minutes to go. Lanark held out and in the last minute the team captain Angus Andrews sealed the victory with a penalty.

All had contributed to the result but a special mention should be made for the welcome return to the side after a long layoff of Marcus Fraser, who had some storming runs, and to Steve McKeown who was Lanark’s man of the match.