Lanark shortlisted as Rising Star High Street of the Year
Lanark has been shortlisted for the Rising Star High Street Award and is in the running to be crowned Rising Star High Street of the Year!
The Great British High Street (GBHS) Awards are an exciting opportunity for councils, businesses, community groups and volunteers to learn from the leading examples of the ways in which high streets are succeeding in overcoming the challenges of a rapidly changing environment.
The Rising Star High Street award celebrates up and coming local communities who are on their way to transforming for the future.
The awards are divided into two categories - the Champion High Street category and the Rising Star category, with Lanark competing for the latter.
In Scotland, Lanark and 6 other towns have been shortlisted as the 'Rising Star' finalists. The awards website highlights how Lanark is transforming for the future:
"Lanark has a number of community events and initiatives underway. The most notable being the Lanark Lanimers, an ancient duty that has morphed into an annual, week-long festival of celebrations. Other events in the Lanark Festivals programme include, a flower festival in Castlebank Park in the spring, and a winter festival, which includes the annual Christmas Market, Illuminated Winter Parade & Late Night Shopping Event. Lanark’s thriving high street is at the forefront of digital development. Large touch screens around the town promote local events, and also link through to the town’s website. A charitable group keeps the town hanging baskets in shape and recently received GOLD for the first time at the Beautiful Scotland Awards. In addition to aesthetic improvements, the ‘Lanark Wombles’ organise regular litter picks around town. Lanark is also full of innovative ideas that promote the town’s heritage, the most unique being the Lanark Closes project, which sees closes in disrepair transformed with spray paint murals."
Lanark businesses have also recently voted to establish a Business Improvement District (BID) in the town. From 2019 - 2024, Discover Lanark aims to improve the town through implementing innovative projects and services. www.discoverlanark.co.uk
In the coming weeks, The Great British High Street Awards judges and Ambassadors will start visiting all shortlisted high streets across the UK.
The judges’ scores will make up 80% of the final score, with the remaining 20% coming from public online voting, which is now open.
Help Lanark win this prestigious award by voting online at www.thegreatbritishhighstreet.co.uk/high-street-of-the-year-awards/rising-star-lanark
Voting ends 23.59 on 7th October 2019