Welcome to Discover Lanark
Businesses and organisations in Lanark have come together to make their voice heard and to work collectively to deliver a range of services that will make a real and lasting difference to their town. In early 2019, they voted to set up a Business Improvement District (BID) which launched in September 2019, running for an initial 5 year period.
Businesses wanted to see improvements across 4 key themes:
- Appearance and Access – improving how Lanark is presented to locals and visitors
- Business – putting successful businesses at the heart of Lanark’s community
- Community – businesses and community working together for a better Lanark
- Lanark and New Lanark – working together to capitalise on tourism
Over the next 5 years, Discover Lanark will deliver a range of projects, services and initiatives across these themes to improve the area for businesses.
Early projects have included:
- Renovation of the closes with a total of nine repainted and new energy efficient LED lighting installed, making them safer and more welcoming to residents and shoppers.
- Introduction of a Cost Reduction Service in partnership with Eyebright delivering savings across utilities, telecoms and merchant fees. As an example, McKellars Jewellers, the first customer assisted after coming out of contract, has made a saving of £450 per annum on water and electricity charges for each of the next 3 years, more than recouping their annual BID levy costs across that period.
- Decorating the town in the lead up to Christmas with 115 mini Christmas trees supporting over 90 businesses through picking up the ongoing costs of the scheme.
- High profile social media campaigns promoting the key Christmas events including the Christmas Market & Lights Switch On and Late Night Lanark with a Facebook reach of 304,000 plus a Christmas social media advent calendar featuring some 60 businesses.
- Installation of the Wellgate Light Ceiling to support pre and post Christmas trade and the evening economy.
The first half of 2020 offers a range of new projects:
- Launch of a new Business Frontage Improvement Grant to assist local businesses and owners of vacant properties to upgrade their frontages. Discover Lanark can award 50% of the total project cost to a maximum of £2000.
- Programme of Gateway Improvements focusing initially on Bannatyne Street taking in the Bus Interchange, public realm, business frontages and vacant units.
- Ambitious Themed Family Trail linking Lanark and New Lanark through the summer holidays to generate additional footfall and new visits. More details to follow soon.
- Establishing a partnership with Young Scot Card to research young people’s views on shops and services in Lanark prior to launching a discount scheme for card holders.
- Delivery of a package of Staff Training opportunities via Business Gateway and other training providers.
- Floral Displays with hanging baskets supplied to local businesses and increased partnership working with Lanark in Bloom.
- Relaunch of lanark.co.uk to include a new app, enabling the better promotion of local businesses.
To find out more about Discover Lanark, please contact the BID Manager, Antonia Pompa, on 01555 673939 or email@example.com