Menu

1953

On the 29th July 1953 Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh visited Lanark as part of an extensive tour of Britain. Arriving by train from Edinburgh the Queen was met by representatives of local youth organisations. After inspecting the guard of honour, composed of the 1st Battalion the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) in Bannatyne Street, the Queen and her entourage proceeded by car to the County Buildings in Hope Street.

Provost T.A.R. Russell with the town Magistrates and other officials met the Queen and joined her in a reception in the County Hall. During this the Queen inspected the Silver Bell racing trophy which had been won by her father’s horse Kingstone in 1946.

After the reception the Queen left to continue her tour via Wishaw, Motherwell and Hamilton to Rutherglen