With the earlier scheme using water from Lanark Loch not being as successful as hoped, by the 1870s the Town Council had started to look at other options.
A report was submitted to them in 1878 recommending the building of a reservoir at Lochlyoch, on the slopes of Tinto Hill, to feed a tank to be built at Brown’s Square in Lanark.
After a plebiscite on the new scheme which resulted in approval by the population the Council proceeded with scheme.
It was officially opened on the 13th October 1882 and until recently supplied the town with up to 264,000 gallons per day. It cost £8,048.