Established on its original site in 1867 – by the 1890’s it was common for 50,000 sheep to pass through the market in two days.
Lawrie and Symington's auction market, with fortnightly sales, was established on its site at Ladyacre in 1867. Weekly sales started in 1876 and special sales for sheep and horses were held when required. It had good communications, being near the railway station, and expanded rapidly. By the 1890's it was common for fifty thousand sheep to pass through the market in two days.
In 2004 the firm moved to a new purpose built market on a site opposite Lanark racecourse.