Menu

1822

Designed by Thomas Telford and built as part of the improvement of the highway between Stirling and Carlisle which passes through Lanark, Cartland Bridge, spans the gorge of the river Mouse.It consists of two piers and three 52-foot span arches. The height from the riverbed to the top of the parapet is 129 feet.

Mr. John Gibb an Aberdeen architect was the contractor and builder. Robert Hutchison, Ex- Provost of Lanark laid the foundation stone in the summer of 1821 and the bridge was completed in the summer of 1822.